Best Skin-Lightening Products
- ProActiv Solution Skin Lightening Lotion
- Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Gentle Skin Lightening Gel Complex
- Glymed Plus Derma Pigment Bleaching Fluid
- Paula’s Choice Clearly Remarkable Skin Lightening Gel
- MD Skincare by Dr. Dennis Gross Hydra-Pure Radiance Renewal Serum (contains no hydroquinone)
- Topical application of hydroquinone is considered by many dermatologists to be a safe option in reducing or eliminating skin discolorations. It is available at a 2% concentration in cosmetic products.
- It can be an unstable ingredient in cosmetic formulations and when exposed to air or sunlight it can turn a strange shade of brown.
- Hydroquinone products packaged in jars are not recommended because the jars will allow the product to become ineffective shortly after opening.
- If you’re using any over-the-counter product with hydroquinone and a well-formulated sunscreen of least SPF 30, and you haven’t noticed any skin-lightening results after three months of daily use, you should discontinue use. It is lightly due to the insufficient strength of hydroquinone in the product.
Things To Note
- These lightening products are meant to be integrated into your daily regimen; they aren’t replacements for other treatment creams.
- Use a lightener, then a treatment cream, then a moisturizer, and sunscreen comes last.
- No skin-lightening product will work if you don’t use an effective sunscreen daily.
- Allow each layer to be completely absorbed before adding another one. Never use more than four products (excluding cleanser and toner) at a time.
- If you start to encounter irritation, STOP using the product immediately.